Figuring out how to stay motivated to lose weight is one of the most difficult things. Temptation is around every corner. Some days you’re discouraged with your lack of progress. You’re hungry and you just want to eat. Your kids’ unhealthy snacks are calling your name. No one is noticing that you’re losing weight. It’s a challenge, but I have a few tips that will help keep you motivated when times get tough.
How To Stay Motivated To Lose Weight:
This post contains affiliate links. See my disclosure here.
- Find your reason why. Why do you want to lose weight? Maybe your reason is to be able to play with your kids or to fit in your skinny jeans or to feel amazing in a swimsuit or to be able to run a marathon or to feel more attractive. Really take some time and figure out why you want to lose the weight. Why do you want that? How will you feel when you reach your goal? This is one of the most important things that will keep you motivated. Always remind yourself what your reason is when you want to give up.
- Imagine yourself as you’d like to be. If you can really visualize what you want to look like, feel like and act like when you reach your goal, it will help you stay on track and committed to the process. Take a few minutes when you first wake up or before you go to sleep to just imagine how amazing you will feel, what you’ll wear, what you’ll be doing and how you will act when you reach your goal.
- Celebrate your small successes. Made it through a day without cheating? Got your workouts in all week? Drank a gallon of water today? Passed up that cupcake at work? Whatever your small successes are, be sure to celebrate them. Be proud of yourself for the little things. It’s the little things that will get you to your big goal in the end. It’s ok to toot your own horn!
- Join a support community or find a support partner. Having support on a weight loss journey is so helpful! Just knowing that there are other people who get what you’re going through makes all the difference in the world. Your family may not understand your struggles. Your skinny friends who can eat anything they want won’t get why you can’t just have pizza. Find people who are on the same journey as you and embrace them. You can find weight loss groups on Facebook or find a hiking group or workout partner in your local area so you can support each other and motivate each other.
- Stop making excuses. Life gets busy and stressful, but you can’t excuse your way out of doing what you need to do for yourself. You keep your commitments to work, your kids and your husband. Why can’t you keep your commitments to yourself? You have to get out of your own way.
- Follow a program that is so simple you don’t have to think about it constantly. Find something that fits into your life and your routine like it’s second nature. It’s impossible to stick to something that you have to have on your mind every minute of the day. We have other things going on besides dieting. Keep it simple. This is the biggest tip on how to stay motivated to lose weight. The right program is the key! When you can enjoy the process and don’t have to focus on the outcome to get through it, everything will be easy. For me, a starch based whole food diet has been the diet that feels like second nature. I don’t feel like I’m sacrificing anything and it’s so easy for me to stick to.
- Love yourself as you are. There is a sense of calmness that comes when you stop beating yourself up, body shaming yourself, and talking to yourself negatively. I challenge you to wake up each morning, look at yourself in the mirror and say one nice thing about yourself. Learn to love who you are and all of your wonderful qualities instead of focusing on the things that you think are wrong with you. Here are some ideas you can use.
- Keep your fridge and pantry stocked with healthy foods. It’s a whole lot easier to make the right choices when you have the right foods on hand. Let your pantry get too empty and temptation sets in because you have no options but junk food.
- Recommit to yourself and your program each week. Set a goal for the week and commit to reaching it no matter how small it is. Set a day each week to take a few minutes to think about this and make a commitment to yourself. Get your free weight loss tracker so you can write down your goals and track your progress.
- Be patient. I KNOW! I’m the least patient person on the planet, but weight loss doesn’t happen in the blink of an eye (unless you’re I Dream Of Jeannie). You have to just do your thing, stay committed, live life the best you can and it will happen. This is why you need to follow a simple program that fits your lifestyle. It makes this patience part a whole lot easier.
Please share this on Facebook or Pinterest to help your friends stay motivated too!
Other Posts You Might Like
There are so many reasons backed by science that try to explain why people fail at losing weight. But what if it's more than that? I'm going to share with you what I've learned about how to...
I've suffered with IC for 14 years and the interstitial cystitis belly fat was almost as annoying as the pain. This can also be referred to as the IC belly or IC tummy and it can be super hard to...