Stop Food Cravings Now!
Cravings! We all have them sometimes and they can be overwhelming and sabotage our diets. They’re actually our bodies telling us that we need certain nutrients. Here are some of the common cravings, what your body is trying to tell you it needs, and how to get those nutrients with healthy foods. Stop food cravings in their tracks and make healthier choices to satisfy your nutrient needs.
- Salty snacks cravings–Your body is telling you it needs chloride. Chloride helps keep the amount of fluid inside and outside of your cells in balance. It also helps maintain proper blood volume, blood pressure, and pH of your body fluids. Try eating lemon, fish, unrefined sea salt, tomatoes, lettuce, celery, olives, and seaweed to combat this craving.
- Soda or oily cravings–Your body needs calcium. Calcium is necessary for life. In addition to building bones and keeping them healthy, calcium helps our blood clot, nerves send messages and muscles contract. You can get calcium from kale, broccoli, legumes, almonds, spinach, okra, oranges, and sesame seeds.
- Bread cravings–You are lacking nitrogen. Amino acids contain nitrogen are the building blocks that make up the proteins in your hair, muscles, skin and other important tissues. Nitrogen is an important part of your DNA. Nitrogen can be found in beans, peas, lentils, oatmeal, spinach, mushrooms, almonds, white fish, and lean meat.
- Sugary food cravings–Lack of chromium, sulfur, and tryptophan are to blame for these cravings. Chromium is an essential part of metabolic processes that regulate blood sugar, and helps insulin transport glucose into cells, where it can be used for energy. Chromium is also involved in the metabolism of carbohydrate, fat, and protein. Sulfur makes up vital amino acids used to create protein for cells, tissues, hormones, enzymes, and antibodies and is essential to life. Tryptophan is considered an essential amino acid because our bodies can’t make it. It is important for the development and functioning of many organs in the body. Combat your cravings for these essential nutrients with broccoli, cabbage, beans, kale, cranberries and grapes.
- Chocolate or acidic food cravings–You need magnesium. Magnesium is important for regulating muscle and nerve function, blood sugar levels, and blood pressure and making protein, bone, and DNA. Get magnesium from fresh fruit, legumes, and raw nuts and seeds.
A couple of other ways I stop food cravings if I’m not having a specific craving, but just want to eat and I’m not really hungry are drinking some water or brushing my teeth. Nothing really tastes good after you brush your teeth. I’ve found it’s a good way to keep myself from mindless eating. And water makes you feel more full so you don’t feel the need to eat.
I hope this list helps you crush your cravings and feed your body what it needs!
If you’re having a hard time sticking to your diet, you don’t want to miss this post!
Be sure to follow me on Facebook for helpful tips to lose weight, love yourself, and get healthy!
Some nights you just need an extremely simple vegan dinner recipe because you're short on time. Or maybe you're a beginner vegan and feel overwhelmed by some of the dinner recipes you find that...
I grew up with a mom who tried to control everything. So of course I learned to be a control freak myself and spent most of my life trying to control everything and everyone until I learned how...